11.30.2005

clubwoman

My grandmother was a member of the DAR, my mother was in the League of Women Voters and the NAACP. And even today, one of my nearest and dearest looks to be a future president of the Hollistan Garden Club, while another, for her sins, is on the board of a historic trust. I am not a joiner.
I do, however, belong to a very exclusive Club. Housed in a townhouse on the East Side of Manhattan, my Club has a library of rare books, members of rare distinction (Sir Edmund Hillary) and a stuffed grizzly bear rampant on the second floor landing. Though a pale imitation of the Royal Geographic Club (I've never been), the Explorers Club is the closest thing to a stuffy British scene I know of on this side of the pond.
I suppose I joined out of vanity—because it was there, and I could. I had to be nominated by two members and write reams of self-justifications and attach lists of publications etc. I rationalized that I would find stories and meet people at the club and be able to go on fabulous expeditions.
Thing is, I never go to my Club. In the ten years since I joined, I have been to two annual dinners and one reception—all in that first halcyon year. None of the lectures, slide shows, convivial evenings or banquets for which I continually receive invitations can impel me to slog through the underbrush of Central Park to the East Side.
And every December, when it's time to re-up, I have to realize this. Especially now that my expense account no longer covers the $400 annual membership fee nor the additional fees charged for each and every event. I have rationalized that I get a great deal to rent the venue for a party in case, say, my daughter gets married. But my daughter is getting married and she has not selected that venue. Or maybe, I tell myself, I will turn into an old fart who likes to walk to the Club every day and pretend to have business there so as to snooze in front of the fireplace with a newspaper spread over my face. I find I'm not quite ready to be a buffer yet.
But the Club was so hard to get into!
And so I sit, the envelope in front of me, trying to decide: Do I pay up for another year of nonattendance or not?
Why I can't stop: Exploration of the Far Side

6 comments:

Wolfen said...

Dearest Mother,

I do think, since i am getting married on Block Island...it would be only appropriate to have some sort of a celebratory party in New York....don't you think that would be just the thing?

And I was thinking, the Explorer's Club would b just the vogue! I could wear my furs! (Angelina...you think you could help arrange this?)

Anyway, run some dates by me and I will put you in touch with the wedding party.

Wonderful idea, dah-ling.

Love,

Your Daughter

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, God!! So DO NOT QUIT THIS CLUB. You might not get back in when your purse strings are fuller. Besides, what's another $400 when you have already invested over $4,000 ?? It's peanuts, anyway. I spent $4,000 the other day on dog clothes for a sick kid's dog.

Besides, you owe Wolfen one. For letting Moxie bite off Poly's nose.

Don't worry, Wolfen. Poly is ok. I saw him. And you should see what Poly did to Moxie.

Besides, Wolfen SO needs her reception at a hot place. Not Ballards. Not the Kittens. Not Captain Nicks.

Wolfen said...

So not Ballards!! Eeeww. ans we can't have the Atlantic....I was thinking of talking to the Mistress of the House of Hat.... you know....

I mean, really, it is such a beautiful Island... The Rehearsal dinner might be on a boat around the Island...we shall see...then there is the wedding, the reception, the Brunch...i mean!! so where is the brunch going to be...and don't i get a bridal shower?? I mean, HELLLLOO?? I am only doing this once...I hope....

Anonymous said...

About the once...Watch Out! Did your mom tell you about her nightmare?? Get her to tell you about her nightmare.

Wolfen said...

Mom...your two cents here....

Anonymous said...

definitely stay in the club we must have lunch there or just go and hang out with the bears...there's no turning back....as far as the wedding goes..wow the possibilities are endless!!!!!!!