3.18.2005

our president

Gobsmacked is the term I'm looking for, I believe. Yesterday the cops were soliciting my support, today it's Republicans. Is this for real?
A card with my name on it claiming that I'm a platinum member of The President's Club has arrived at my address. The accompanying letter reads, in part, "We must give President George W. Bush the support he needs to do what is right for our country by cutting taxes, modernizing social security and strengthening our military." Wait for it: "I believe your expemplary record of loyalty and patriotism proves you are the caliber of leader President Bush can count on in this impressive struggle.".
Loyalty and patriotism? Leader? The administration's intelligence is as flawed as ever. Who have they been talking to? Not the FBI. And they sure didn't get my name from the IRS—the pitch continues that all I have to do to keep this card (for use at "prestigious events") is pay $1000 to the Republican National Committee. That's like asking a homeless person to pay off the hit-and-run driver who maimed him for life.
Having the name of an irredeemable pacifist-leftie like me on such a mailing list is not identity theft but identity transplant. I suspect that my name may have been provided to the RNC by the same friend who pasted a Bush-Cheney bumper sticker to my rental car—you know who you are. I got him back by surrepticiously affixing a sticker to his bumper that read "Honk If You're Gay."
Buddy, can you spare a cig?
Reason not to quit today: Mailing lists.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush Sr&Jr must have thought you were a athletic supportor of the wars they like to get us in and since you interviewed both of them
they must consider you almost family as well. What I want to know is are you on there christmas card list yet? Or is that only after you become a gold card member?

Claudia said...

I don't think young George or his sweetie Karen Hughes liked me much when we met, and I don't seem to hold a place in their memory (they have one memory between them: hers). I was on Tipper Gore's Halloween Party list for quite a while, though.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Don't you have some connections where you can get a white house press credential and get to ask the President how the hell you got on this mailing list?! Also, you can tell him you don't have a web page called militarystuds.com...

Anonymous said...

and I thought I was just getting popular ....... I keep getting
solicitation from the DNC to use their credit card which would return 1%
back to the party ..... don't take it personally, it's just bulk mail
marketing

Anonymous said...

C, I have to say you have very clever & amusing friends. I enjoy reading their posts. But wouldn't you just love to get a post like this little gem? (pls note picture at end)

Rant: A bitch named Julee ~ Im very happy not being your friend
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/64355655.html