3.12.2005

nasty habits

I was under the impression that if parents smoked, their rebellious children seldom did. Or vice-versa in my case. It was a comforting impression, since when I had a kid I wouldn't/couldn't stop anyway. So my kid spent most of her childhood crumbling my cigarettes, throwing them out the window, showing me autopsy pictures of lungs and all the other stuff that they were teaching them in school.
One night I had a dream that my daughter was smoking. When I told her this, she said, "Mothers always know." Alas. She quits over and over, but she smokes, along with indulging in all the other bad habits she's learned from me over the years such as drinking, taking drugs, going to orgies and marrying starving artists. There are a few ahead of her (and fortunately behind me) that she hasn't taken up yet. I throw up my hands. She's grown, and I've already won the role model of the year award.
Reason I can't stop smoking today: It's too late

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey. That's not fair. I turned out okay, you said so yourself. And as for smoking, it's fun, you should try it. And for your information, I am currently eating dinner with an artist, who is, obviously, not starving. And as for drinking...well isn't that hereditary??? Like spelling??? And drugs, I say no, but they don't listen. And orgies....tripop did write a book on "enhancing the male sexual technique." and he had three kids. So...I give it up to two role models: Madonna and Michael Jackson. I am the adopted lovechild of the two. I have no choice but to live the way I do.