3.22.2005

nightwork

Sleep can be so exhausting. The body checks all its systems—temperature control, fluids, mechanical systems-and runs through the programming. You're sweating, coughing, twitching, palpitating. And then there's the mind, which seems to need to clean up the hard drive. There'a lot of shit on there. Everything you have ever done or might do or wish you had done is all in there to be run and rerun endlessly in a whirl of psychogarble that's very difficult to sort out (save as, trash) once you wake up. Ah, but then you're cleansed in body and mind, tabula rasa.
Reason to have a cigarette on this new day: I'm beat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleep is needed when dwelling how Orwellian the laws against smoking are. I want to ask Catholics how it felt when they were told it was
ok to eat meat on fridays.
Like a magic wand changing what was
When stories of smoking on planes and hospitals are told it is hard to imagine. Everywhere you went ashtrays were available with matches proudly advertising the establisment you were visiting.
Once a world existed that had no smoke lines. It was a choice every
person had. It was not held up or over you. Whatever you choose.
It fills me with envy and anger.
Sitting with a coffee and smoke in any diner USA. Taking a flight to Asia with a ashtray built in the armrest of you seat. Waiting for birth or death with ashtrays and
butt machines for your convience. It pisses me off that I missed this even if I agree that planes and hospitals should be smoke free.
I can live with that. I could even understand when they decided to segregate in all public places. I
accepted the ostrazing that became
common between smokers/non smokers
How insidious this is. In less then
twenty years the brainwashing has
almost fully taken over. Nowhere can a smoke be enjoyed. Will my home be next? Already friends are divided between houses that allow smoking.Smoking and pissed I was
born at the wrong time.

Claudia said...

I went to Hoboken, N.J., the other day. I actually sat in a bar and had a beer and a cigarette. There is a bill in the state house to ban smoking there as well, but apparently Atlantic City is giving them some problems.
Gamblers smoke.
Gamblers lose money.
Gamblers are good for business. Business is good for the state.
Problem.