7.07.2005

got no culture

Why does everyone who comes to stay with me want me to see Art? And I don't mean Art at the delicatessen. I mean MOMA, the Met, the Guggenheim, the Whitney, Soho, Chelsea and last winter that premier artspace of all, Central Park. And they want me to go with. I mean, don't they think that I would go to museums (or Broadway shows, or the opera, or the ballet, or the symphony, or Shakespeare in the park) if I wanted to? I live here, after all. I could go any time. But they try to haul me along, and sometimes I go, if only to spend time with my friends. It can backfire, like the time one visitor and I caused a scene by ridiculing some Joseph Cornell boxes. Or like this last time at MOMA's Lee Friedlander show, when I went into a paroxysm of coughing in the hushed gallery. I'm sure my friends wished they'd left me at home. ("Philistine. Never saw her before in my life.") But at least it wasn't a concert.
Let me bum a smoke from you.
Reason I can't stop: Only pearls should be cultured.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i might need a whole pack. I am going to MOMA tomorrow...to buy a membership. I guess I can't quit in the next year...too much Museam to see. And you can't even smoke there. Not even in the garden. Do you know how much the artists probably smoked while making their art??? And we can't even smoke while looking at it. How inappropriate. If this were France it would surely be different. Wouldn't it? I mean, can't you smoke in the Louvre? Geez I can't even spell that. My momma didn't raise no cultured pearl.